child support banner

Agency Services

All parents have a responsibility to financially support their children. Wisconsin's child support program helps ensure that children receive the financial support they need.

Services We Provide Services We Don't Provide
Establishing paternity The Handling of Divorces
Finding absent parents The Handling of Custody or Visitation Issues
Establishing child support orders The Obtaining or Enforcing of Restraining Orders
Enforcing child/family medical support obligations Establishing or Enforcing Spousal Support Orders
Reviewing child/family support obligations  

Other information about our services can be found on our Services Information Page.

Note: Many forms regarding the above actions may be found at the Dane County Clerk of Courts Website

Obtaining Agency Services

To obtain the services of the Dane County Child Support Agency, you must fill out a free of charge application form.

There may be additional charges for individual services, such as the Tax Intercept Program.

Services of the Child Support Office

The services available from the child support program include the following:

  • Establishing paternity

    If you are not married to the father of your child, the Agency can help you legally determine the identity of the child's father. This process is called "establishing paternity." Establishing paternity guarantees a child's right to receive financial support, medical support, and inheritances from the father.

    The length of time it takes to obtain a judgment of paternity depends on what steps will be necessary to complete the process. If a man admits paternity and signs papers declaring himself to be the father, then the process is very fast. Frequently, however, it is ordered that genetic testing be done to confirm that a man is the father of a child; this can take a month or so to schedule and receive the results. If there is a trial by jury, it may take months to be scheduled and heard by the court.

    A way to legally establish paternity that does not require the services of the Child Support Agency is for both parents to complete a "Voluntary Paternity Acknowledgement" form. However, filling out this form does not establish a child support order in and of itself. For more information about this form, you may call any local hospital, the Register of Deeds office, or the Child Support Agency.

    A child support order cannot be obtained without either 1) judgment of paternity, 2) genetic testing which establishes a 99% or greater likelihood of paternity, or 3) a filed Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity and subsequent motion to the court for child support.
  • Finding absent parents

    The Agency can try to find absent parents by using the State Parent Locator Service if you provide the parent's name and social security number. If the absent parent has moved to another state, the Agency can ask the other state to find him/her. The Agency can also search throughout the United States for the absent parent by using the Federal Parent Locator Service.

    A court hearing cannot be held to establish or enforce support unless the absent parent has been properly served with a notice of the hearing.
  • Establishing child support orders

    The Agency can assist in obtaining a child support order against a parent who is not living with and directly supporting his or her child. This can be in a situation where parents are married but separated and not pursuing a divorce, or a situation where paternity was established but no support order made (because the parents were living together at the time), or in a situation where a child is temporarily placed in foster care or an alternate care placement.

    The Agency will investigate how much the other parent earns and determine how much child support would be under the percentage standards. The Agency uses the State Percentage Standards (DCF 150) to determine support unless there is a good reason to deviate from them. Then it will first try to get an agreement from the other parent to pay support. If no agreement is reached the Agency will file a motion to establish.
  • Enforcing child/family medical support obligations

    The Agency has a number of tools to enforce court orders for child support or medical support.

    Enforcement tools include:
    • interception of a payer's income tax refunds (an additional small fee is charged for this service)
    • liens against real and personal property
    • denial or suspension of recreational, occupational or driver's license
    • civil court charges of contempt
    • criminal court charges of felony nonsupport
    • passport denial
    • automatic income withholding
    • automatic National Medical Support Notice
    • financial account seizure
    • Credit Bureau reporting
    • financial record matching program
  • Reviewing child/family support obligations

    The Agency may review and consider whether to pursue a revision of an existing child support order upon a request by either parent. The Agency uses the State Percentage Standards (DWD40) to determine support unless there is a good reason to deviate. Pro-se (do it yourself) motion packets are available from the Dane County Court's Form page.