child support banner

Services Information

Cooperation with the Agency

If you receive public assistance, the receipt of your benefits may be conditioned upon your cooperation with the Agency in its efforts to establish and enforce a child support order against the other parent (if the other parent is not living with the child). Cooperation means providing any information about the payer that you know or could reasonably find out, including address, employer, place of birth, physical description, and any other income information. It also means filling out forms immediately, keeping appointments, and informing us of any court hearing you have scheduled.

If, however, you believe that cooperation with the Agency could result in harm to yourself or your child, or if your child was conceived as a result of incest or rape, you may not need to cooperate with the Agency if you fill out a "Good Cause Claim." You may obtain a "Good Cause Claim" application from Dane County Human Services.

Obtaining an Attorney

Many people have private attorneys during the course of a legal action (such as divorce, paternity, or contempt). You may have the Agency's collection services and a private attorney's Legal representation at the same time.

The Agency has attorneys. However, these attorneys represent the State of Wisconsin and not any individual in an action. Unlike a private attorney you retain, the agency attorneys are not required to keep information you tell them confidential. They are also not bound to take a position that is favorable to you. Their job is to obtain the most fair child support orders possible and to enforce child support orders.

Confidentiality Concerns

The information contained in the files of the Agency are not open to the public.

Certain information may be shared with others only for the purpose(s) of the administration of the child support program and other related programs (Sec. 49.83, Stats.).

If a person has a concern that he or she may be harmed if certain information is released, the person should inform an Agency employee. If appropriate, steps may be taken to protect certain information from being released at all.

Automatic Withholding from Paychecks

Most child support payments will be automatically withheld from an employee's paycheck, provided the Child Support Agency has been informed of the payer's employer.

However, all payers are ultimately responsible for making sure that payments are made. Payers are instructed to check their paycheck stubs to make sure that the appropriate amounts of money were withheld. If the entire amount of child support due was not withheld, it is the payer's responsibility to send in the difference to the Wisconsin Support Collections Trust Fund ("WI SCTF").

Personal Payments

If you wish to make a child support payment on your own (either because you are self employed, or the employer did not withhold enough, or you wish to make an additional payment), you may send the payment to:

Box 74200
Milwaukee, WI 53274-0200

Each check must be accompanied by the following minimum information:

  1. Name and either
  2. KIDS PIN number
  3. Social Security number, or
  4. Court Case Number. It is preferable to send in payments with a payment voucher (which you should receive in the mail). If making a payment on arrears, you must specify that on the back of the payment voucher. You may contact the Child Support Agency for assistance in filling out the payment voucher appropriately.

Payment Records

To receive information about payments received in your case, or account balances, you may contact the KIDS Information Line at 1-800-991-5530. A brochure fully describing what information is available on this hotline is available at the Child Support Agency. Or click here for Online Payment Record Information

You may also obtain a copy of the payment history in your case from the Child Support Agency. There is no cost for a copy of your payment record.

You may request the payment history in person, or through the mail.

Statutory Interest

Pursuant to sec. 767.25(6), Stats., a party ordered to pay child support was required to pay simple interest at the rate of 1.5% per month on any amount in arrears that is equal to or greater than the amount of child support due in one month prior to May 1, 2000. The statutory rate of interest is established at 1.0% per month as of May 1, 2000.

Change of Address

All parties must notify the Child Support Agency and the Clerk of Courts of any change of address within ten days. Parties are presumed to have complied with this statutory requirement. Failure to do so may result in your missing important legal documents that may affect your rights. For a child support recipient, it may also mean that you do not receive child support. For a child support payer, it may also result in a judge issuing a civil warrant for your arrest if you can not be found otherwise.

Change of Employer

All child support payers are required by statute to notify the Child Support Office and the payee within ten business days of any change of employer and/or of any substantial change in the amount of his or her income.

Equal Opportunity Service Provider

The Dane County Child Support Agency is an equal opportunity service provider. If you need assistance to access services or materials in an alternate format, please contact the Agency at (608) 266-4031 or the DES Equal Opportunity Office at (608) 267-0927 (Voice and TDD).

Other Questions

If you have any other specific questions about the services of the agency or details about your case, you may either write the Agency (Room 365 of the City-County Building, 210 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Madison, WI 53703, call the Agency (608-266-4031),or come to the office in person.